Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Escapism

Every so often you hit a big work that you can't put down. For me, the books that have fallen under that category have included the Harry Potter series, The Golden Compass, Fahrenheit 451, and The Eyre Affair. Now I'm rediscovering why the Narnia novels have fallen so heavily under that category for half a century. Having put down The Last Battle, I find myself picking up the book and tearing through it to find my favorite moments and relive them. I muse on the perfect worlds beyond the Shadowlands, remember the friends like Mr. Tumnus and Reepicheep whom I've come to love dearly in the past weeks. And most of all, I mourn that there are no more tales of Aslan -- who, coincidentally, I play in my summer community theater.

Actually, it's not a coincidence. I fully intended, in this summer before college, to pick up The Lord of the Rings and attempt to read it again -- the last time, I got nearly all the way to Mount Doom before realizing I was bored silly, and stressed from trying to read too quickly. However, when I reached for The Fellowship of the Ring, I realized this: acting as a Narnian creature while reading about Middle-Earth would probably get confusing. So I stuck to the novels of Mr. C.S. Lewis instead.

Try to understand: The Chronicles of Narnia are a much more marketable franchise than The Lord of the Rings, at least for Hollywood. There is a significant difference between the two epic fantasies that mark the cornerstones of the genre. While The Lord of the Rings is a single book, presented in six parts, and often published in three volumes (thus necessitating a continuity of quality and tone through the three movies), The Chronicles of Narnia is made up of a book, its sequel, two more sequels, an interquel (coming between two books chronologically), a prequel, and a grand finale.

In other words: C.S. Lewis wrote more because the fans demanded he write more. Smart fans. C.S. Lewis wrote a lot, but these are his most-read books, and the most revealing ones. As a Christian, I found it deeply revealing and insightful to see my faith presented in a different light -- a light of alternate universes, talking animals, and battles for honor. The character of Aslan is great and terrible -- and in one word (LION), C.S. Lewis has hit upon the inherent contradiction that is God, and how lovely the contradiction is.

What this means is that each book stands on its own, as a story. If you ask me, I found that to be a good thing. It's why I liked The Hobbit better than The Lord of the Rings. (I mean, for crying out loud, one chapter in LOTR was literally called "The Old Forest". Pfah!) The reader might not like everything, but there's probably something s/he will like.

There are, of course, the accusations that Narnia is too literal, hitting you over the head with his Christian ideas. I suppose it's possible you'll enjoy these less if you're not Christian, or if you go into the novels without realizing this was the mindset of C.S. Lewis. However, I doubt it, because as whimsical, creative fantasy novels, these books work tremendously. Aslan is an astounding character whether or not you assimilate him to Jesus. The Last Battle is moving even without making the connection that it takes after the Book of Revelation.

There remains the question: in what order should you read the books? On my first outing (years and years ago), I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first and all the novels starring Pevensies thereafter. This time, I started with The Magician's Nephew, and I think I got more of a feeling for the character of Aslan and his evolution in Narnia. (Aslan is the only character who appears in all seven books, and he becomes more obscure as the books progress in time.) Then again, though, several elements introduced in The Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Nephew only reappear in The Last Battle, so potentially the books work if read out of chronological order.

In the end, C.S. Lewis himself says that it doesn't matter. That's because this is spectacular stuff. We all need a little magic in our lives, and seven books is about the right length to get a reader really deeply involved. The characters, especially those who lasted several books, captured my heart (this is why The Horse and His Boy is inferior to the rest -- Shasta and company never reappear). I was sorry to see it end, but I know it has to end, as did Lewis's first readers. Eventually we must return to this world (for however short a period of time). But while you're staying in Narnia, it's a pretty damn good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment